Position title: Communications and Media Manager
Initial salary: $70,000 PA (+ mobile device and car/allowance)
Term: 4-month contract with possibility of extension
Location: Belmont, Western Australia
Important background and context
Bushfire Volunteers (a trading name of the Association of Volunteer Bush Fire Brigades WA Inc) is a registered charity and the not-for-profit peak body that represents, supports and promotes WA’s 20,000+ registered Bush Fire Brigade volunteers and the thousands of others who enable them to do what they so for our community.
After almost 30 years, the Committee of Management took the decision in May 2019 to recruit its first ever full-time employee with the very clear objective to radically increase the number and breadth of the services we deliver and to secure the resources needed to make it happen.
We are now ready to launch some very exciting new member services and urgently require the skills of a talented, passionate and experienced full-time Communications and Media Manager.
About the job
Our enormous agenda will undoubtedly make this role a critical part of our long-term team. However, it is being initially offered as a 4-month fixed term contract because there is a strong possibility the association will move its head office to regional WA later this year.
While that plan is still fluid, there are many other genuinely game-changing initiatives and events confirmed and in need of a very special team to ensure they deliver maximum return for our truly incredible volunteer members.
The amount of positive change ahead means the person we are looking for needs to be flexible and adaptable while remaining absolutely focused on messaging that moves us closer to our key strategic objectives.
As this is a brand-new role in a very lean team, the successful applicant must be willing and able to self-initiate, take responsibility for their work and deliver from day one.
This is not an entry-level position.
Among the highest priorities of the Communications and Media Manager are to:
- manage the association’s public messaging and brand,
- draft articles, opinion pieces, media statements, talking points, briefing notes, letters and other written documents for various audiences,
- monitor a wide variety of public sources of news and information relevant to our work, proactively identify any potential threats or opportunities and recommend appropriate, timely responses,
- maintain strong, positive relationships with state-wide journalists and other public influencers,
- engage directly and appropriately with volunteers, sponsors, government officers and other stakeholders,
- record, filter and manage information and images important to the work of the association,
- actively and enthusiastically participate as a senior team member in the broader evolution and success of the association.
Are you the one?
If you are genuinely excited by what you’ve read, send only these two documents to email@example.com:
- A media statement that announces and explains the role as you see it, and
- A 500-word article about you in a way that strategically influences our hiring decision in your favour.
Our need to fill this vacancy is urgent, so do not delay your application.
This advertisement will be removed as soon as an appointment is made.