AS INVESTIGATIONS continue into last month’s maelstrom of Redmond and Napier fires, the City of Albany has lifted one of two restricted burning periods but is still urging people to exercise caution when burning off.

Manager for Ranger and Emergency Services Tony Ward said the investigations are ongoing and are being coordinated by the Department of Fire and Emergency Services, and that the City is working with DFES and the community.

He said the restricted burning period for the south-west sector of the city expired at midnight on June 15 and will not be extended due to the cold, wet conditions experienced over the past week.


Sponsor's message

But the restricted burning period within the north-east sector will remain under review.

“Residents in this sector [south-west] will be able to burn from Saturday without needing a permit,” he said.

“It is important though that people exercise common sense when lighting fires to ensure it is safe and they monitor their fires to ensure they do not pose a risk to anyone else or other property, and are extinguished if conditions become challenging.”

Updates to the restricted burning periods can be found on the City’s website at albany.wa.gov.au/council/council/public-notices.


By Ashleigh Fielding | Great Southern Weekender

Sponsor's message

Print Friendly, PDF & Email