The City of Greater Geraldton is seeking applications for the position of Emergency Operations Officer, which will also take on the role of the City’s Chief Bush Fire Control Officer (CBFCO).
We know a number of Local Governments that had previously accepted an embedded DFES employee under the title of Community Emergency Services Manager (CESM) found that the requirement for those individuals to report to both DFES and their direct manager in local government sometimes led to difficult situations and untenable relationships.
Consequently, more and more local governments are realising that critical decisions about local emergency services can not be made from Perth and simply have to involve the input and expertise of local volunteers.
We encourage our thousands of highly qualified volunteers to consider applying for the position below and continue the City of Greater Geraldton’s understanding of and engagement with its vitally important volunteer bush fire brigades and their amazing members.
Emergency Operations Officer (Ref: 747)
Closing Date: Thursday, 13 July 2017
The City of Greater Geraldton is seeking to engage an Emergency Operations Officer to provide leadership and management of the City’s Bush Fire Brigades, Fire Control Officers and other Emergency Management resources. The position will maintain Emergency Management plans, arrangements and operational readiness, including training and developing Incident Management capabilities within Council and volunteers.
Key Accountabilities for the role will include:
- Perform the Chief Bush Fire Control Officer role for the City of Greater Geraldton.
- Manage the City’s Fire Control Officer network, Bush Fire Brigades, volunteers, fire appliances and equipment (including PPE)
- Provide fire-ground leadership to Bush Fire Brigades and/or other response units where necessary
- Coordinate training of volunteers and nominated staff to ensure operational competency, appropriate qualifications for tasks undertaken, and maintenance of training to ensure volunteers and staff remain qualified and proficient
The successful applicant must have significant experience in fire (preferably bushfire) suppression including offensive and defensive firefighting strategies, and have comprehensive knowledge of relevant legislation including the Bush Fires Act 1954 and Emergency Management Act 2005.
A salary range of $81,328 to $90,991 per annum will be offered dependent on knowledge, skills, experience and qualifications.
View the position description and selection criteria: Emergency Operations Officer
To gain a better understanding of the role call Brendan Wilson, Coordinator Emergency Management on (08) 9956 6766.
Interested in applying?
To be considered for this vacancy, you must include the following documents in your application:
- A completed Application Form
- A current resume
- A document addressing each of the selection criteria outlined in the roles position description (please refer to Information for Applicants for further details)
Applications should be emailed to the Chief Executive Officer at email@example.com or sent to: City of Greater Geraldton, PO Box 101, Geraldton WA 6531 by 4pm, Thursday 13 July 2017.
A/CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER